Often, when you face any trouble while opening or closing programs on Windows 10 and it can make your PC really slow. If you don’t resolve the issue, it can disrupt your ongoing task and even cause a severe screen freezing error in your computer. There can be many underlying issues for this slowdown and identifying the correct reason is important. So, if you are facing this problem and asking yourself why is my laptop so slow, then this article will surely help you out. Here, you will learn the major causes of getting this error a few troubleshooting methods to fix them.
Troubleshoot The Issue Of Laptop Running Slow
Before you start checking out the steps to troubleshoot PC slowdown issue, know why it occurs. If you are unaware of the reasons, it can be more frustrating when you can’t think about any solution to fix the sluggish performance issues. So, be patient and follow this article to learn these technical fixes. Otherwise, you will still keep thinking why is my laptop so slow. Hence, first check out the list of causes that lead to computer slowdown error.
Common Causes That Can Slow Down Your Windows 10 Based PC
1. Your device is having too many programs running during startup, hence it can make it slow over a period of time. So, next time you ask why is my laptop so slow Windows 10, know the reason can be device startup.
2. The hard drive in your PC is physically damaged or running short of life. So, if your hard disk’s lifespan is towards the end, your computer will start showing such problems.
3. In case you are not having enough free space on your hard disk, it can make the device run really slow. So, the issue occurs as the system doesn’t find storage space to save essential temporary files for operating programs on Windows 10.
4. If you are using a browser that is running with too many add-ons, it can slow down the PC.
5. As the device can have problems with the on-board RAM, so the system can become slower if it tries to run add-ons that use the CPU more.
6. Users who try to run multiple programs or open too many windows at a time, they can experience this issue mostly.
7. If your PC is infected with a spyware, malware, viruses or a corrupt program, the device can still become slow.
Apply These Fixes To Troubleshoot Laptop Slowdown Error
Fix 1: Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs
To turn off programs from Windows 10 startup, you have to access the Task Manager on your PC. So, press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys simultaneously and open the Task Manager. Then click on the tab of Startup and check the list of programs running on your PC.
To make your computer work faster, you can select the software that you don’t want to run during startup. Hence, right-click on those software and select ‘Disable’.
Fix 2: Check And Repair Your Hard Disk Issues
Usually, after a span of 3 to 4 years, most of Windows 10 system hard drive crashes due to a limited lifespan. However, if the hard disk belongs to the category of solid-state drives, it can still last up to 8-10 years. Hence, you must run a check disk program on your computer to identify and fix hard disk errors. This can help resolve the slow down problem of your laptop.
To apply this fix, open the Windows Explorer, go to Computer and then locate the drive. Right-click on it and select ‘Properties’, then choose ‘Tools’. Next, click on the option to scan and recover bad sectors.
Fix 3: Free Storage By Cleaning System Drive
If there are too many programs running in your PC, open the Control Panel and check the list of software. Right-click on the ones that are using space on the hard drive but not necessary. You can also use a junk cleaning software to free up memory space.
Fix 4: Remove Toolbars, Browser Extensions & Programs
For Firefox, locate Add-ons on the browser menu, click ‘Extensions’ and choose to disable them. If you are on Internet Explorer, go to ‘Tools’, click ‘Manage add-ons’ and view the list and disable the ones that are causing slowdown issues. If you want to end specific processes that can degrade the speed of your processor, hit Ctrl, Alt and Delete tabs. Then select ‘End Process’ for those programs on the Task Manager.
Finally, if you are using an antivirus that utilises CPU highly, it can slow down your system. So, disable the program temporarily on antivirus ‘Settings’. Hopefully, all these fixes are enough to resolve laptop slowdown issue.