Avast Antivirus is one of the renowned antiviruses in the market. However, many issues may arise while using Avast products. One of them is Avast Error 0x80046401. Its symptoms include application crash while registering to its full version and consistent displaying the error message.
Users are facing it mainly during the installation process. The other causes of this error are virus-infected Avast system files, another program maliciously deleting the antivirus program, corrupted registry files and many more.
If you are thinking about how to fix this error? this article is meant for you. Hence, follow the solutions very carefully to troubleshoot the Avast registration error.
Quick Fixes for Avast Registration Error 0x80046401
To fix Avast Error 0x80046401, you need to follow these 6 easy solutions. They are described below:
Solution 1- Repair Registry Entries
Incorrect registry entries in Windows and Avast system files might cause the error. To resolve it, download any third-party registry cleaning software from a secured website (use https://). Then, install it and clean all the corrupted registry entries and junk files.
After cleaning the junks and repairing entries, try to register your Avast Antivirus product. If this doesn’t work, then you can perform a full scan of your computer. The detailed steps of how to do a full system scan are mentioned in the next part.
Solution 2- Run Full PC Scan
Sometimes, hidden malware and other viruses can also prevent registering Avast Antivirus products. Hence, running a full scan of your system might solve that issue. So, follow the steps below to do so:
- Double-click on the Avast Antivirus icon and open it. Click on the Scan option and select the “Full System Scan” option.
- The Anti-Virus will now take some time to scan your entire computer. After the process is completed, it will notify if any threats are detected. It will show the number of threats and ask you to perform certain actions to mitigate them.
- Next, click on the “Delete” option for each threat (in case, more than one threat detected). After applying this step, all the viruses will be deleted.
- Finally, restart your computer and try to register your Avast software.
If this process doesn’t work, clean all the junk files with the system built-in “Disk Clean Up” feature. It is discussed in the next section.
Solution 3- Clean Junk with Disk Cleanup
Cleaning all the System’s junk files might solve the Avast Error 0x80046401. The steps to perform it are as follows:
- Select the “My computer” or “This PC” (for Windows 8 or 10 respectively) and click on the system drive (C:). Right-click on it and select the “Properties” option.
- As the “General” tab is already selected by default, click on the Disk Cleanup option. Wait for the system to calculate the number of “System Error Memory Dump” files present in your system.
- A dialog box will open with several tick-box options. So, tick all of them and click on the “Clean Up System Files” option and again wait for the calculation process as mentioned above.
- Thereafter, a prompt box will appear asking for permission to keep or delete the files. Hence, click on the “Delete” option and all of your junk files will be deleted instantly.
On the other hand, the outdated drivers of your computer can also lead to this problem. So, it is important to keep all your system drivers updated to its latest version. Follow the next section to do so.
Solution 4- Update Device Drivers
To avoid any Avast-related problems, you must update all the drivers in your system. Keeping your system drivers up-to-date also helps your computer to install Avast as well as other security softwares very quickly and efficiently.
- Open the System Properties by clicking on the “My Computer” icon on your desktop. Now, obtain the information about your motherboard’s manufacturer and your computer service provider.
- Afterward, go to the official site of your PC brand by providing the link in your default browser. Then, visit the Support section.
- Provide your motherboard or laptop model number in the specific box and press Enter key. Download and install all the drivers one by one and restart your computer.
This will update all your system device drivers and ensure no error can take place.
Solution 5- Reinstall Antivirus Program
Reinstalling your Avast will delete all the relevant old system files and create a new system restore point. After a fresh installation, new files will be stored in your device’s drive. This may help you to register Avast without any errors. The steps are as follows:
- Launch the Control Panel window by clicking on the Start menu button. Click on the “Change or Uninstall” option. Then, select Avast from the list and wait a few seconds for the Uninstall dialog box to appear.
- Click on the “Uninstall” option and a new dialog box will appear asking for Admin username and password (in case of Guest accounts).
- Hence, provide the username and password to confirm this as Administrator. Next, click on the “OK” button to proceed and wait for the creation of the system restore point.
- Once done, then click on the “Complete Uninstall” option to remove the Avast Antivirus from your computer.
After this, install a fresh Avast.exe file in your system by following the instructions given below:
- Visit the Download section of the official Avast website and click on the free download option.
- Wait for the .exe file to download. After that, click on the downloaded file and install it.
- Reboot your computer and try to register your product.
Solution 6- Check Operating System Requirements
Upgrading to the latest version of Avast Antivirus might show up as an issue of incompatibility. Often, the current version of your Antivirus is compatible with your Operating System. But, the latest version to which you are going to upgrade, may not match the system requirements. Hence, may show Avast Error 0x80046401 while registering your antivirus.
To avoid this incompatibility error, make sure that your Operating System’s components are fully compatible with the latest version of Avast.
- Locate your Antivirus’s official Website and find the Support option. Click on it and you will be redirected to their support page.
- Find the system requirements option and click on the “+” icon to expand the “Minimum System Requirements”.
- Now, read the following content carefully and try to understand it thoroughly.
Tips: Always try to update your Avast software regularly. If not possible, then try to do it at least twice a week. Besides, before shutting down your computer, run a full system scan to detect any potential threat.
Clean all the junk files regularly to maintain a healthy and active system as well as disk drives. Never install two antivirus programs in one system, as there can be a system priority clash and your computer might freeze itself.
We hope all the above-discussed solutions solve your problem with ease. According to experts, use genuine Avast Antivirus to enjoy all the embedded features and avoid error 0x80046401.
Avast can protect your system while you are surfing the Internet. Hence, make sure that your default browser’s Avast Add-on is activated. Moreover, don’t open any unsecured website, as there are chances of penetration of malicious files into your computer.
If you have any queries regarding the solutions, feel free to ask in the comment section given below.