Windows Defender error code 0x80073b01 usually occurs due to conflicts between Windows Defender and any other security tools in your system.
Besides, any damage within the Windows Defender Application or corruption within the registry can also result in this error code.
Fixes to Resolve Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073b01
Windows Defender error code 0x80073b01 may stop it from working thereby making you more prone to virus attacks. As a result, you are more likely to get affected by virus attacks. To fix this error easily, follow the solutions exactly as given below.
Fix 1: Run the System File Checker Tool
You can easily get rid of this error with the use of the System File Checker Tool. This is because the System File Checker tool is remarkably effective in scanning, locating, and repairing any corrupted files within the system. Here is how you can use the SFC tool.
- Firstly, press the Windows key and type cmd in the search bar.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and then click “Run as an administrator” option.
- Enter “ sfc /scannow “ in the command box and then hit the Enter button.
This must fix the problem for you, however, if the problem still persists move on to the next solution.
Fix 2: Get Rid of Any Third-Party Security Software
Users have complained of confronting this issue due to interferences between third party Security Software and Windows Defender.
Thus, this may be another reason why you may be facing this error 0x80073b01 on Windows Defender. If such is the case, then uninstall any third-party security software and see whether it resolves the error for you or not.
- Firstly, press the Windows key and type “Change or remove a program”
- In doing so, you will be able to see a list of installed software, locate your security software.
- Click and Uninstall the software by following the instructions as appearing on your screen.
- Following that, you can visit your manufacturer’s website and get a removal tool. This will help you to get rid of files and registry entries that might be left behind on the uninstallation of the software.
- Reboot your system and check if the Windows Defender is working efficiently or not.
Fix 3: Take Help of Registry Editor
Tweaking with the Registry editor is another easy way to fix Windows Defender error code 0x80073b01. However, do not mess up the keys that you are going to edit. Here is how the registry editor can help you get rid of this error easily.
- Press the Windows + R keys together to envoke the Run window and type “ regedit”. Hit the Enter button.
- Search and locate the keys listed below and delete msseces.exe:
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File Execution Options\” and delete the entry msseces.exe and
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun” and delete the entry msseces.exe.
- Lastly, reboot your system and check if the problem got resolved.
Fix 4: Check for Updates
Outdated Windows OS can be another reason why you are confronting this error. Therefore, it is recommended to update Windows to the latest version. Here is how you can do so without any difficulty.
- Firstly, press the Windows key and then type Windows Update in the search box.
- Click on “Check for Update” to look for any available updates. If an update is available, then install it. Lastly, reboot your system and see if it resolves the error for you.
Most likely this article helped you get the answers if you were looking for solutions on Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073b01. If this post is helpful for you then keep following our website for further details.