Are you facing the Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba on your computer? And because of that, your computer is vulnerable to threats of virus attacks?
Well then, you have come to the right article. The Windows Defender is a very useful antivirus program that comes along with Windows OS. With this, you will be getting all the necessary features to keep your computer safe from virus attacks.
But Windows Defender keeps stopping error code 0x800106ba is something you might face nevertheless. The good thing about this is that you will be able to fix the problem yourself.
The instructions in this article is going to help you. So, let us get into all of that now, without further delay.
Reasons Behind Windows Defender Error Code 0x800106ba
There is an important thing that we should point out. That is going to save you a lot of trouble by making the instructions much easier to understand.
We are going to discuss the possible causes of this error code issue and related details. Now, this particular error code is something that you are going to face as you try to update Windows Defender. And without timely updates, a lot of other complications will show up with Windows Defender.
If we have to point out a really simple reason behind this, then that is a third party application. Another antivirus program to be specific, which conflicts with Windows Defender.
Then, there is the issue of corrupt system files which cause a lot of different problems. The .dll files are important components within the functional protocols. And if one of them are corrupt, then that will trigger an error code.
Other than explicit virus attacks, there can be more subtle cases of infiltration like malicious files. These can get into your system through the internet and as it does, can wreak havoc.
So, here we have covered the primary reasons behind the Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba. Let us now look into all the solutions to this problem.
4 Ways to Troubleshoot the Windows Defender Error Code 0x800106ba
In this section, we are going to cover all the solutions that you will need to fix this problem. Try to identify the exact cause of this issue. This will help you to apply the solutions to it straight away. Otherwise, just keep applying the steps successively to fix the problem.
Remove the Third-Party Antivirus Program
Let us start by removing the third-party antivirus software in order to prevent any kind of conflict. Follow these steps and you will be able to remove the third-party antivirus that you are using.
- Open the Windows Run dialogue box by simultaneously pressing the Windows key and the R key.
- As that dialogue box comes up, type in appwiz.cl into the search panel. Press the Enter key after that to open the new window.
- In the window that comes up from there, you are going to get a list of all the applications.
- Pick the antivirus program from there and right-click on it. From the dropdown list that comes up, choose the Uninstall option.
After you have finished all these steps, make sure to restart your computer to apply the new changes.
Register the .dll Files Again
If for any reason the necessary .dll files are not present in the proper sections, then that is going to prevent Windows Defender from working properly.
That is why you will have to register all those files all over again. And that is going to solve the problem. Here are all the steps you are going to need for that.
- To carry out this process, you will have to boot your computer up with complete administrative rights.
- Now, you will have to launch the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows key and the R key.
- In the search panel over there, type cmd and then hit the Enter key.
- Now, the Command Prompt window is going to come up. Type in regsvr32 filename.dll and press the Enter key again.
- You will have to do the same for each individual .dll file that you want to re-register. The files would be: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll, regsvr32 wucltui.dll, regsvr32 softpub.dll, regsvr32 wintrust.dll, regsvr32 initpki.dll, regsvr32 wups.dll, regsvr32 wuweb.dll, regsvr32 atl.dll and regsvr32 mssip32.dll.
As you have completed re-registering each of these .dll files, just restart your computer to apply the changes.
Perform a Complete Registry Scan
You can scan through the registry to identify and fix specific problems. Here is how you will be able to do that.
- Press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously to launch the Run dialogue box.
- In the text entry panel in that dialogue box, type in cmd and then press the Enter key. This is going to open up the Command Prompt window.
- Type in scanreg/autorun into the window and press the Enter key after that. With this, the Registry Checker is going to run, with a backup copy of the registry.
- As the registry scan starts after this, you will have to wait for the entire scanning process to complete.
- Now, after the problem identification step is complete, you will have to resolve the issue. To do that, type in the scanreg /fix command and press Enter.
Now, the system is going to fix all the errors that it has identified. That will take some time, thus you have to wait for a few minutes. Then after it is complete, just restart your computer system.
Check if you are able to update Windows Defender and if not then apply the next step.
Activate the Windows Defender Automatic Mode
Using the Automatic mode for Windows Defender updates is going to ensure the prevention of such error codes. Because with the automatic mode, the updates will happen preemptively.
Follow these steps to start the Automatic mode for Windows Defender updates.
- You will have to log in to your computer with administrative rights first. You will have to restart the computer to boot it up this way.
- Once you have booted your computer that way, launch the Run dialogue box.
- In the text entry panel of the Run dialogue box, type in Services.msc and then press the Enter key.
- Now, the Services section is going to come up on the screen. Look for the Windows Defender option and double-click on it as you find it.
- You are now going to see the Windows Defender Services window. Look for the Startup type section and select the Automatic option under it.
- Finally, click on the OK button to complete the setting change.
As you change this setting, Windows Defender is going to start updating automatically, whenever new updates are available.
You now have 4 ways in which you will be able to resolve the Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba. But it is not uncommon for users to still have questions regarding this issue.
So, if you have any questions, then feel free to post in the comments section below. And for informative articles just as this one, you can go through our website.