Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 is quite a common error which mostly occurs due to the junk files or outdated device drivers. However, several users have reported these errors while trying to update the Windows Defender.
Sometimes, if you have mistakenly disabled the Defender service or working with a third-party application for a long time, then it might also cause this error. However, there are several solutions discussed here that will surely help you to overcome this issue.
Methods to Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004:
If you are here to know how to fix Windows Defender error code 0x80004004, then the wait is over. Have a look at these steps we have discussed below.
You can proceed with any of the methods or all the solutions until the computer starts working normally and the error is resolved.
Method 1: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter is an in-built application in every version of Windows that allows the computer to diagnose for the errors. In this case, you need to run the Windows Troubleshooter tool to resolve the error.
- Turn on the computer and type “troubleshooter” into the Search panel and tap the Enter key.
- Now, when the Troubleshooter window opens, select the View All option from the bottom of the list.
- After that, click the Windows Update Troubleshooter option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the scan is completed, select the Finish button from the bottom and restart the computer.
Now, if the error code still remains even after running the troubleshooter, here is the next solution you can try.
Method 2: Remove Junk Files from your Windows
Using the computer for a long time accumulates several junk files and folders which results in this error. In that case, you need to remove all the junk files and folders to halt the internal conflicts and this error.
- Open the Windows Search panel and type “cmd” into the search bar and tap the Enter key.
- When the file list appears on the screen, right-click the Command Prompt option and select the Run as Administrator option.
- Enter the correct login credentials and tap the Yes key to confirm the login process.
- After that, in the Command panel, type “cleanmngr” and tap the Enter key to proceed with the command.
- Now, this process will start checking the occupied memories on the hard drive.
- Select all the checkboxes after the search and tap the OK button to confirm the cleanup process.
Finally, when the deletion is successful, simply restart the computer and see if the error code is now resolved.
If still, the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 prompts or the above method fails, you can try one more solution discussed below.
Method 3: Update the Device Driver
Device drivers are the most essential elements for creating communication between the computer and application programs. In case, the device drivers are corrupted or the internal files are missing, then it will surely halt the computer to behave normally and this error will arise. In this situation, you need to update the device drivers.
- Launch the Windows Search panel on the startup and type “devicemgr” into the search bar.
- Tap the Enter key to open the Device Manager window on the next screen.
- Now, when the Device Manager opens, locate the driver from the list that you want to update.
- After that, right-click the driver and select the Update Device Driver option from the sub-menu.
- Click the Yes button for the confirmation and this will automatically redirect you to the web page.
- Select the Download Now button from the bottom of the screen and wait for the download process to complete.
- When the download is successful, click the Install Now button again from the bottom and click the Run button.
- Select the Next option from the pop-up screen and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the task.
Now, when the installation is over, apply the same steps for all the device drivers to update. When you are completed with all the updates, restart the computer manually and let’s see if the error is now resolved.
Method 4: Enable the Windows Defender Service
Enabling the Defender service is one of the easiest ways to get rid of Windows Defender error code 0x80004004.
To enable the Defender Service on your Windows, try the hacks we have discussed below.
- Open the Cortona on your Windows and right-click the option to select the Run As Administrator option.
- Click the Services tab from the top of Taskbar and select the Login option.
- Enter the Login ID and Passcode when prompts and click on Continue to confirm the process.
- Locate the Windows Defender Service option from the screen and click on that from the resultant service screen.
- After that, double-click the Service Settings page from the list and turn the settings to Automatic.
- Click the Apply button from the bottom and then click the Save button to save the settings.
Finally, close all the tabs and reboot the computer to see if the error code is now resolved successfully. You can try the next solution if the above method fails in fixing the issue.
Method 5: Disable Third-Party Security Program Temporarily
If none of the above methods work, then this might be due to the third-party security programs which is affecting the internal software systems. In this situation, disabling the third-party security program is a quick way to halt this error.
Listed below are some of the steps to disable the third-party security program.
- Turn on the computer and tap the Windows Start button to proceed with this method.
- Type Settings into the Search panel and click the very top result from the list.
- After that, select the Update and Security option from the bottom of the list and locate the Virus and Threat option.
- Click the option and select the Manage Settings option. Then click the Switch Real-Time Protection option.
- Select the option as OFF and simply close all the active tabs and exit the screen.
Finally, restart the computer and see if the Windows Defender error is now fixed and the computer is working as earlier.
From the above article, you can get an idea to identify the core factors to save the computer from external harmful errors. If you have proceeded with all the above methods and steps accurately, you can surely overcome the error code 0x80004004 Windows Defender.