All of a sudden you can experience the problem of Windows 10 running slow and your device starts performing tasks sluggishly. Many users facing this slowing down issue even on Windows version 7, 8, 8.1 also. So, if your PC or laptop is not fast enough, its time to troubleshoot issues that make your Windows 10 sluggishly. In this article, you can check out the major issues that lead to slowing down of Windows 10. Also, there are a few methods discussed here, which you can apply to resolve the problem of Windows running so slow.
Causes For PC Running Slow Windows 10 Error And How To Fix It
It can be very frustrating for users who have upgraded to Windows 10, hoping to work on a better system. But, instead of performing tasks faster, they are facing the issue of Windows 10 running slow. So, if you are one of them, go through the following methods to speed up Windows 10. However, before doing so first take a quick look at the underlying causes that can make your PC extremely slow.
Possible Causes Why Windows 10 Running Very Slow On Your PC
- If your computer is old and not using the latest hardware/ processor for operating faster.
- There is not enough free space on your device’s hard drive and it can slow down the PC. It usually happens when you keep saving and installing new programs but, your drives don’t have much memory.
- If the hard disk you are using is fragmented or corrupted, it can lead to unresponsive Windows and frozen screen issues.
- You are running multiple programs simultaneously and have opened mutiple browser tabs on Windows 10.
- There is a physically damaged component in your device that resulting in extreme overheating. Thus, you can experience slowing down of computer due to RAM and hardware failures.
- An outdated Windows 10 program can be a major issue for lagging your device’s operating speed. So, if you have not applied Windows Update or have not restarted your system for a while, the PC can be slow.
Quick Fixes That Can Make Your Windows 10 Faster
If you are stuck with a non responsive laptop or computer that runs very slow, there are some technical fixes to resolve it. So, follow these quick methods that you can apply and speed up your computer.
Fix 1: Change The Size Of Windows Pagefile
If your device becomes slow due to low RAM, shift some of the memory content to the ‘pagefile.sys’ on your system. It can help to manage the computer and improve its performance. So, write ‘Performance’ on the search box and go to ‘Adjust the appearance and Windows performance’. Then click on the tab of ‘Advanced’ and also hit the option of ‘Change’. There is a box for managing paging file size automatically for all the computer drives. So, make sure to untick it. Next, go to ‘Custom size’ and set both the Maximum and Initial sizes as 1855 MB. Then click ‘Set’ and OK to save these changes.
Fix 2: Defragment Your Hard Drives
Go to the Search box and write ‘Defragment’. It will show the option of ‘Defragment and Optimise drives’. Click on it and hit the ‘Analyse’ button. It will scan and evaluate the condition of your hard drives and turn on the scheduled optimisation. Next, click on the ‘Optimise’ button for starting the defragmentation and improve the speed of Windows 10.
Fix 3: Turn Off Useless Startup Programs
You don’t have to keep all the programs that are saved on the Startup list on your Windows 10. To speed your processor, you can disable some of them that are not important.
So, open the Task Manager by hitting the keys of Ctrl, Alt and Delete together. Otherwise, you can also press Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys for accessing Task Manager. Then click the tab of ‘Startup’ and choose the name of programs that you want to disable.
Fix 4: Pause Automatic Syncing With One-drive
Whenever your PC starts to sync its files with the One Drive on Windows 10, the system can slow down. Also, this process is automatically enabled, unless you stop or pause the syncing. For stopping the sync between Windows 10 and One Drive, click on the task bar. then locate the One Drive icon and click on More. Then select the option of Pause Syncing and select the duration for pausing the sync.
Furthermore, you can apply many other advanced technical fixes to resolve the issue of slowing down Windows 10.