The Mcafee error x5485 generally appears while you are trying to install the security program. You might note that as soon as the error message appears the installation process comes to halt.
You might also get a red screen with the message “Unable to Continue Installation. We are having trouble installing your McAfee software because of this. Error 0”.
Often, “Something went wrong with the installation. We are having trouble installing your McAfee software. Contact McAfee Support and mention problem code 0” message also appears on the screen.
There are some common issues, for which you can come across this error. You may get this issue if there is any connection problems in the security software. If any kind of incomplete fixation occurs or for sign in release problems in the McAfee account, you can get this error.
2 Easy Methods to Fix McAfee Error x5485
If you are getting this error, we would recommend that you should get rid of it as soon as possible. And for that, you have to perform the following steps that are mentioned below.
Method 1:Run the McPreinstall Tool
When you get McAfee installation error, it is always a wise choice to run the McPreinstall tool. This tool will automatically remove the temporary files and cookies from the computer which is triggering the McAfee error x5485.
- First, you have to download the McPreinstall Tool in the device.
- Once you are done with the downloading process, try to locate the file. Usually, you will get this folder in the “Downloads” folder section.
- Now, right-click on the “Pre-install tool.exe” options and choose “Open” to start the process.
- On the screen, you will see a User Account Control prompt. You have to click on “Yes”.
- A new window will appear, you have to tap on the “Start” button. After that, this tool will start the scanning process.
- Wait for a while until the whole process is done. When the tool detects the 1005 error code, you will see a green banner that says “ Ready For Installation”.
- Now, you can try to install McAfee again to check if the McAfee error x5485 is still there in the device.
If the above method did not fix the issue, then you have to opt for the second method to fix the issue.
Method 2: Resolve the DNS issue
You can get the McAfee error x5485 if the Domain Name System is too slow. Thus, you will be unable to continue the installation process.
To solve the issue, you have to change the DNS settings on the network card to a public server. And for that, you have to perform the following steps:
- First, you have to go to the Start button. In the search box, write “Control Panel” and hit the Enter button. Choose “Control Panel” from the searched results.
- In the Control Panel window, choose the “Network and Internet” option. You have to tap on the “Network and Sharing center” to check the Adapter settings.
- Now, you have to choose the “Change adapter settings” option. Once you get the list of the Networks on the screen, you have to double click on the active one to view the status.
- Now, you have to choose “Properties” from the Wi-Fi Status Tab. Mark the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and then choose the Properties option.
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) tab, go to the “Use the following DNS server addresses” section. Check if the Prefered and Alternate DNS Server numbers are 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 respectively.
- When you are done, click on “OK” to save the changes.
Now, you have to look for the McAfee error x5485. Performing the above methods in the exact sequence will help you to get rid of the error. If you face any trouble then use the comment box to share your queries.