Security is one of the top priorities when using gadgets like computer systems. You use that to perform a lot of really important tasks and there is also valuable data that gets stored.
To protect all of that, there are a lot of different software that you can use and Malwarebytes happens to be one of the most common among them.
It helps to clear off malicious software and all the threats that it might bring. And by removing all that malware, it can give the computer system a high level of security.
Now, the problem occurs when you get error messages like the Malwarebytes error code 404. This can compromise the proper functioning of the software and thus leave the system vulnerable to all kinds of malware threats.
Check out in the upcoming sections how you can fix this issue and get Malwarebytes working properly again.
Probable Causes of Malwarebytes Error Code 404 Problem
We are going to discuss a few really important things before we go to the Malwarebytes error code 404 fix. Let’s go through all the possible reasons why you are facing this issue.
If you have that knowledge and a sound understanding of the problem then you are going to find it much easier to understand and implement the solutions.
- If there is another security software, or more than one running at the same time in the computer system. This is going to create a severe case of program conflict and is one of the most common reasons for such an error code.
- Then, there is the usual issue of a lack of system updates that can cause problems while functioning. This will lead to the program showing the 404 error code message and will fail to function.
- Also, there might be similar update issues with the Runtime libraries like MS Visual C++ and that will almost without fail cause an issue like the Malwarebytes error code 404.
- Other than that, if there was some error during the installation process of Malwarebytes that can cause this error code issue, either right away or sometime down the line.
So here you have the main issues that cause this particular error code issue with Malwarebytes.
4 Fixes for the Malwarebytes Error Code 404 Problem
Now, let us have a look into the methods that you can apply to fix the problem. Try and identify the exact cause of the problem in your case, that will help you save time with the execution.
Otherwise, just keep applying the steps one after the other to fix the error code issue for good.
Install the Runtime Libraries Again
If there has been any kind of faulty update in the runtime library file groups like Microsoft Visual C++, then that can cause this error code issue. Here is how you can fix that:
- Open up the Windows Control Panel and then look for Uninstall a Program option. Click on it to expand that section and bring up the list of active programs.
- Look for the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables and right-click on it as you find that.
- From the dropdown list that comes up, click on the Uninstall option to remove it.
- Download and then install the Microsoft Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter program.
- After you have the program, run it to confirm the uninstallation of all MS Visual C++ files.
- Now, get the installation packages for the Autodesk products with Microsoft Visual C++ files.
- Figure out all the locations for the files in the 3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\ and the 3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\ folder.
- Finally, install the redistributable files back again from the lowest to the highest version.
Thus, by means of this process, you will be able to get Malwarebytes working again properly.
Close all the Conflicting Programs
Programs that conflict can lead to error codes such as this one. So, to fix that, you will have to close them one after the other.
Follow these steps to complete the process:
- Launch the Windows Task Manager section by pressing the Ctrl key, the Alt key, and the Del key.
- In this window, find your way to the Processes tab and you will be able to stop each of the conflicting programs from there.
- Identify and click each individual program and click on the End Process button next to it.
- Check if you are getting the error message on stopping any of the processes.
- From here you will be able to find out which program to install back again to fix the issue.
Thus, by disabling all the programs that are conflicting, you will be able to fix this error code issue.
Update all Conflicting Programs
On a similar note as the previous fix, conflict issues among programs can come from incompatible updates. That is why you will have to get updates for all those programs.
Here is the way you can do that:
- Open the Control Panel section of Windows and look for Uninstall a Program option.
- As you find it, click on it and it will bring up the list of active programs. Check through each to look for available updates.
- Right-click on the programs that are out of date and click on the Update option from the dropdown list.
- Wait as the system completes downloading the updates, and installing them after that.
After you have gotten all the updates, make sure to restart your computer to implement the changes.
Now, you are good to go ahead and check if you are still facing the error code issue or not. If you are still facing the problem, then go for the next step on the list.
Carry Out a Disk Cleanup
Lack of ample free space on your computer system can also be a major cause of this problem. That is why running a Disk Cleanup can help you fix the problem. Here is how you can run that Disk Cleanup in the system.
- Get a backup of all the files that you have before you carry on with this process (As you never know what it is that you might need).
- Go to the Cache Memory section of your computer and clean all the cache files from there.
- Restart your computer and after it is open, go to the File Explorer section.
- Look for the Primary File Directory and right-click on it. At the bottom of the dropdown list click on the Properties option.
- Under that, you are going to find the Disk Cleanup option. So, click on it to start the process.
Wait for the requisite amount of time as the Disk Cleanup process completes. Then, you can check if you are still getting the Malwarebytes error code 404.
As soon as you carry out the instructions that we have listed, you will be able to fix the Malwarebytes error code 404 issue with relative ease.
But still, if you have any doubts or issues you need to discuss pertaining to the topic then you can do that in the comments section.
For articles on how to fix technical issues like this, you can go through our website. You will find multiple ones like this as you look through.