Avast Error 42144 is one of the most typical errors correlated with Avast! Antivirus. Users have complained of encountering it during its runtime and therefore, it is also denoted as runtime error 42144.
The error displays with a message stating “ Error 42144: Avast! Antivirus has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
What Causes Avast Error 42144?
Avast error 42144 is a runtime error and we all know how runtime errors can be frustrating if not fixed at the earliest. Therefore it is essential to know the effective causes that lead to this error. In case you are not aware of them, take a look below:
- Incompatible running of programs at the same time
- Virus attacks or Malware
- Memory issues
- Corrupted graphics drivers
How to Fix Avast Error 42144?
However, Runtime error 42144 does not necessarily signify a corrupted code, it just means that Avast! Antivirus could not work during the run-time. Here are some of the effortless ways that you can try out to get rid of the error.
Solution 1: Reinstall or Update the Conflicting Programs
To fix this issue, it is recommended you to reinstall or update the program that is causing conflicts. Now, do the following:
- Go to Start and then type Control Panel in the search box.
- From the result that appears click on the “Uninstall a Program” option.
- Within the Programs and Features, select the problem that is causing issues and click on Update or Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts that appear on the screen for a successful update. To uninstall, follow the prompts as presented on the screen and then use the application’s installation disk for reinstallation.
Solution 2: Run Disk Cleanup
Lower free storage space of your system can be an added reason for this error to occur. Thus, it is important for you to run disk cleanup and get rid of all the junk files. To do so, follow these steps.
- Go to Start and type Disk Cleanup in the search bar. Then, hit the Enter button.
- In the list of drivers, choose the drive for running Disk Cleanup and then the files you want to delete.
- Click Ok and then Delete all the files.
- To get rid of system files that you think are unnecessary for your computer, select the “Cleanup system files” option.
- Besides, to remove shadow copies and restore points, go to More options and then select the Cleanup option.
Solution 3: Install the Graphics Driver Again
Many users have complained of encountering avast error 42144 due to a corrupted graphics driver. Thus, it is important for you to reinstall the Graphics driver to fix the error. To do so, ensure to the below steps.
- Go to Device Manager by searching for it on your device manager.
- Right-click on the video card driver and then click on the uninstall option.
- Reboot your system after doing so.
- After that, you will see that the Windows is itself trying to reinstall the driver
Solution 4: Close the Conflicting Program
You are most likely to confront a runtime error due to the conflicting programs. Therefore, to fix it, these conflicting programs should be stopped. Here is how you can do so.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys altogether and launch the task manager. After doing so, you will be able to see a list of currently running programs.
- Go to the Processes tab and stop the programs by selecting them individually. After that, click on the End Process.
- Throughout the process, keep a check on the programs which you are stopping. See whether the message occurs again after doing so.
- By this, you should be able to recognize the programs that are generating the error. After spotting it successfully, install the application again.
Solution 5: Update Your Antivirus
A virus attack can be another effective reason behind this error. It is extremely important for you to get rid of the virus that might be the cause of this error within your system. Hence, we recommend you to update your antivirus and see whether it resolves the issue for you or not.